Under general direction of the Administrator/Director of Public Works, the Village Lineman will perform the routine duties associated with the operation and maintenance of the Village of Pardeeville Utility electrical system, facilities, buildings and grounds, and performs related functions as required. The lineman shall hold a valid Journeymen Lineman card. Must possess a strong commitment to serve the Utility and its customers in the most responsible manner possible. This position is also responsible for helping out in the water, sewer, parks, and streets departments on an as needed basis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Testing of electric meters on a timely basis and maintaining related records and reports.
• Installs, maintains, and removes all Utility metering equipment. Completes all associated records.
• Participates in trouble shooting customer meter related problems, analyzing and resolving, and preparation of related required reports and follow up.
• Reads all electric and water meters on a monthly basis, and is also responsible for disconnections as directed.
• Installs, maintains, or removes electrical system facilities and related materials as needed including but not limited to overhead and underground services, transformers, poles, meters, etc.
• Works with the Administrator/Director of Public Works and office staff recording data related to new plant, maintenance, and removal of electrical facilities, including but not limited to up to date mapping, pole information, transformer records, work orders, etc. on a timely basis on all required documents.
• Investigates problems and provides assistance to resolve them.
• Resolves and repairs problems to restore service to customers as soon as possible.
• Assists in resolving any customer complaints caused by the outages/problems.
• Records required data.
• Operates and assists in maintenance of backhoe, trencher, trucks, and large equipment.
• Operates and maintains standby power units (Hydro, back-up generators, etc.)
• Participates in maintenance (IF NEEDED) of tree trimming throughout the village and entire service territory.
• Assists in maintenance functions related to construction and the operation and maintenance of all electrical system facilities and equipment including but not limited to locating and adjusting facilities.
• Maintains grounds and structures of all electrical facilities including but not limited to snow removal, lawn mowing, painting and repairs.
• Maintains in proper working order, all electrical system equipment including but not limited to substations, electrical overhead and underground services, transformers, metering and Hydro plant.
• Completes annual year-end physical inventory of electrical materials and supplies.
• Uses all provided safety equipment and safety training, and complies with safety standards.
• Complies with all regulatory agency requirements, and local policies and procedures as directed.
• Must be able to climb and descend poles and ladders, and work in confined spaces.
• Must maintain positive customer service in the most efficient and responsible manner possible.
• Assist in investigation of customer complaints and inquiries.
• Assume responsibility of priority call status on an as needed basis in accordance with scheduling.
• Attend seminars and meetings of the industry as requested.
• Assists Water/Sewer, Streets and Parks Departments when required.
• Maintain professional skills with continuing education (MEUW Safety Program and other requested training).
• Be familiar with employee benefits, rules and regulations.
• Work cooperatively with all Village employees.
• All other duties as assigned.
• Valid Journeyman Lineman card
• High School Diploma or equivalent and considerable knowledge of Utility electrical systems.
• 1-3 years of related electric experience.
• Willing to work in sometimes adverse weather conditions.
• Commitment to service utility customers in a positive responsible manner.
• Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other employees, supervisor, Utility Commission, Village Board, residents and utility customers.
• Valid Wisconsin driver’s license with commercial license and endorsements class B, C and D. The successful candidate must obtain a commercial driver’s license within 6 months of employment.
• Must successfully complete pre-screening evaluation prior to beginning employment (background check, employment physical, drug screening and alcohol test).
The physical demands here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to perform strenuous physical labor and heavy manual tasks for extended periods of time when required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee is frequently outdoors subject to inclement weather and noisy conditions.
Salary and Benefits
• Based upon Village Board recommendation and approval.
• Based upon the Village Personnel Benefit and Policies Manual at the time of hire.
Lineman personnel shall live within a reasonable distance of the corporate boundaries of the Village of Pardeeville so that they are capable of responding to an emergency in a reasonable amount of time.
This position description is not to be interpreted as all-inclusive and is subject to change at any time by the Administrator or the Village Board. The intention is to identify major responsibilities and requirements of this position. There may be requests to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this description.
The Village of Pardeeville is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the American Disabilities Act, the Village will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Updated: October 14, 2019